Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Shared LIbs Query: (1 Item)

Shared LIbs Query  
Hi All

At the moment I am examining a possible solution to an issue we have. 

For info we have a base system install of QNX 4 that launches and sets up Socket usually and is compiled and linked with
 its version of Socket3 lib.  We have another set of processes that are compiled and linked separately as effectively an
 application that is installed onto that base system.  The yare usually also compiled with the version of Socket3 lib 
appropriate to Socket.

However we have been issues with it crashing a lot.  As such we are looking to move to TCPIP 5.1 stack and noted its lib
 is slightly different.  As such the base system needs to run this and obviously be linked with the correct lib.

The problem we have is a nasty need to retain backwards compatibility with the application processes.   As such the 
compiled processes need to run on the system with Socket or TCPIP.

As such I was looking at perhaps compiling the two shared libs into a common lib that the processes are then linked with
.  From the little I can find I understand QNX4 does not officially support shared libs and that it can be troublesome. 

We are trying to avoid the need to maintain, compile, link and test the application and base system software twice as 
this presents a maintenance overhead that is too big.

So i wondered is it still possible to get mkshlib and its documentation from somewhere.  Also has anyone got any 
experience or advice they could share about such a option?

Thanks And regards

Paul