Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Supporting both PS/2 and USB keyboard: (3 Items)

Supporting both PS/2 and USB keyboard  
We provide a QNX 4.25 based application on a bootable CD-ROM with a text console installation script where some choices 
are made during installation to select the correct OS and application configuration.
We also supply the computers for this application and have so far always been able to use computers with PS/2 ports and 
find suitable PS/2 keyboards. However, this is getting harder nowadays.

So, we are looking into adding USB keyboard support to our OS image using the "new" Dev32.ansi driver.
But, if at all possible we would like to have the same bootable installation CD-ROM support both older computers with PS
/2 keyboards as well as new ones with USB keyboard in order to reduce number of software products to support.

Is there a recommended way to do this?

I basically need to start Dev.ansi with or without the USB-related parameters depending on whether there is a USB 
keyboard connected or not. (along with io-usb and USB keyboard driver of course).
The main problem seems to be keyboard support in console mode - once in QNX Windows the USB keyboard works fine. My 
first approach was to detect USB keyboard using "usb" utility and if found, then slay old Dev.ansi and instead start 
Dev32.ansi etc.
Re: Supporting both PS/2 and USB keyboard  
Hello Christian,

I guess that you can use something like the following shell snippet:

devu-kbd &
if [ -f /dev/usbkbd0 ] ; then
    Dev32.ansi ... -d /dev/usbkbd0 &
else
    Dev32.ansi ... &
fi

Respectfully,
Oleg

12 сент. 2018 г., в 0:27:59, Christian Friberg <community-noreply@qnx.com> написал:

> We provide a QNX 4.25 based application on a bootable CD-ROM with a text console installation script where some 
choices are made during installation to select the correct OS and application configuration.
> We also supply the computers for this application and have so far always been able to use computers with PS/2 ports 
and find suitable PS/2 keyboards. However, this is getting harder nowadays.
> 
> So, we are looking into adding USB keyboard support to our OS image using the "new" Dev32.ansi driver.
> But, if at all possible we would like to have the same bootable installation CD-ROM support both older computers with 
PS/2 keyboards as well as new ones with USB keyboard in order to reduce number of software products to support.
> 
> Is there a recommended way to do this?
> 
> I basically need to start Dev.ansi with or without the USB-related parameters depending on whether there is a USB 
keyboard connected or not. (along with io-usb and USB keyboard driver of course).
> The main problem seems to be keyboard support in console mode - once in QNX Windows the USB keyboard works fine. My 
first approach was to detect USB keyboard using "usb" utility and if found, then slay old Dev.ansi and instead start 
Dev32.ansi etc.
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post119089
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-qnx4-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Re: Supporting both PS/2 and USB keyboard  
Thanks Oleg, 

I will give it a try.

Best Regards,
Christian