Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Petya Malware concerns wrt SMBfsys talking to SMB software on Windows computer: (6 Items)

Petya Malware concerns wrt SMBfsys talking to SMB software on Windows computer  
As you are aware, there is malware that has recently been released called Petya, upon investigation into what is 
impacted by this malware, it turns out that SMB Ver. 1 on the Windows platform is potentially impacted by this virus.  
it is recommended that SMB Ver. 1 therefore be shut down.

As you know we have a number of QNX 4 customers out there that are using SMB as the network transport layer to archive 
data and system back-ups as well as for transferring information between a QNX system and a Windows system.  My question
 is if our customer goes on to the Windows PC and turns off the SMB Ver. 1 feature, will this impact the transfer of 
data between QNX and the Windows PC. I'm assuming that SMBfsys on the QNX side communicates with an SMB type driver on 
the Windows side. I'm just not sure if the Windows version of the SMB is what is used with the QNX SMBfys. Also has this
 concern been raised already.  
Thanks in advance ,
Kevin
Re: Petya Malware concerns wrt SMBfsys talking to SMB software on Windows computer  
SMBfsys is based on SMBv1, so yes, disabling this on the Windows side will prevent a QNX machine from communicating via 
this mechanism.  We are investigating alternative options to address this issue.
RE: Petya Malware concerns wrt SMBfsys talking to SMB software on Windows computer  
Hi Kevin:

Please keep me informed if possible as we have a good number of customers with this issue.

- Thanks,
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2017 10:56 AM
To: general-qnx4 <general-qnx4@community.qnx.com>
Subject: Re: Petya Malware concerns wrt SMBfsys talking to SMB software on Windows computer

SMBfsys is based on SMBv1, so yes, disabling this on the Windows side will prevent a QNX machine from communicating via 
this mechanism.  We are investigating alternative options to address this issue.

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post117879
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-qnx4-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Re: Petya Malware concerns wrt SMBfsys talking to SMB software on Windows computer  
Any progress on this issue? This is becoming very urgent.
With regard to SMBfsys and smb versions we eed to move on from SMB v1.
I believe the source code for SMBfsys should be available as per the following:

You could ask QNX in the QNX4 Forum on Foundry27.

SMBfsys is essentially just the client side of Samba 2.2.12 (in QNX 6+ this is fsys-cifs) with a QNX manager wrapper 
around it. Given that Samba uses an open source license, QNX technically should be making the code available to you 
under that license.

For QNX 7, I built the base Samba source for client and server side and it was trivial.
Most companies argue which version is the best one but it depends on the company you work for. I work in Los Angeles It 
Services https://www.generationix.com/los-angeles-managed-it-services/ and we work with SMB version 1 and it is a really
 nice version as it is very stable and has fewer bugs than other versions do. So it is a really personal thing which 
version to use as a lot of companies use different versions because of personal reasons. I hope one day we will have one
 stable version for all IT companies and there will be no need to learn every version. As for now, I will use the same 
version as my company uses.