Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Vortex 86DX serial console login problems: (8 Items)

Vortex 86DX serial console login problems  
Dear QNX community,
we are facing mayor problems with the login on the /dev/ser1 console of the QNX system.
According to the BIOS settings for /dev/ser1 the internal UART is used on IRQ4 at address 0x3f8.
The QNX system is set to the same settings (Dev.ser and stty), but when we connect a terminal to the first serial 
interface we cannot login most of the tries.
We get the welcome message with login prompt and we can type the username, but by the latest when entering the password 
we get a new welcome message, even before pressing the enter key.
Whenever it works to login we can work on the console, but when transferring a larger amount of data (e.g. 'ls -al' of a
 larger directory) the system requests a new login or, even worse, gets totally stuck.
We tried many different combinations of the possible settings, but the problem always persists.
Did anyone experience something similar on the Vortex? 
Many thanks in advance for any hint.
Best wishes
Frank
Re: Vortex 86DX serial console login problems  
Hi Frank,

Does the problem occur on another type of PC (non Vortex)? Can you attach here archive with your configuration files for
 serial console? Please include to the archive the output of following commands:

sin ver
sin arg
sin irq
show_pci -v
stty -a < /dev/ser1

Respectfully,
Oleg

3 июня 2015 г., в 18:17:46, Frank Meier <community-noreply@qnx.com> написал:

> Dear QNX community,
> we are facing mayor problems with the login on the /dev/ser1 console of the QNX system.
> According to the BIOS settings for /dev/ser1 the internal UART is used on IRQ4 at address 0x3f8.
> The QNX system is set to the same settings (Dev.ser and stty), but when we connect a terminal to the first serial 
interface we cannot login most of the tries.
> We get the welcome message with login prompt and we can type the username, but by the latest when entering the 
password we get a new welcome message, even before pressing the enter key.
> Whenever it works to login we can work on the console, but when transferring a larger amount of data (e.g. 'ls -al' of
 a larger directory) the system requests a new login or, even worse, gets totally stuck.
> We tried many different combinations of the possible settings, but the problem always persists.
> Did anyone experience something similar on the Vortex? 
> Many thanks in advance for any hint.
> Best wishes
> Frank
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post113919
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-qnx4-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Dear Oleg,
we are using the same QNX software package on many different CPUs, but similar problem we haven´t faced yet. I also 
tested a different terminal program on a different PC to avoid problems caused by this combination. 
The config lines for the serial port as taken from sysinit are as follows:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
stty baud=57600 bits=8 par=none stopb=1 +osflow +isflow +ihflow +ohflow 	+lkhflow +edit </dev/ser1 
tinit -T /dev/ser1 &
<<<<<<<<<<<<<
As you can see we are using six serial lines in total, but i tried just using the first one only and still got the same 
behaviour.
The debug outputs as you requested are attached.
Many thanks for paying attention to this.
Best wishes
Frank
Attachment: Compressed file debug.zip 3.04 KB
Hi Frank,

Does the following command work on your system?

on -t /dev/ser1 /bin/login

I’ve tested it on eBOX-3300 A4 with Vortex A9120 CPU and this command works and I can login to system via serial port.

Respectfully,
Oleg

5 июня 2015 г., в 10:50, Frank Meier <community-noreply@qnx.com> написал:

> Dear Oleg,
> we are using the same QNX software package on many different CPUs, but similar problem we haven´t faced yet. I also 
tested a different terminal program on a different PC to avoid problems caused by this combination. 
> The config lines for the serial port as taken from sysinit are as follows:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
> stty baud=57600 bits=8 par=none stopb=1 +osflow +isflow +ihflow +ohflow 	+lkhflow +edit </dev/ser1 
> tinit -T /dev/ser1 &
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<
> As you can see we are using six serial lines in total, but i tried just using the first one only and still got the 
same behaviour.
> The debug outputs as you requested are attached.
> Many thanks for paying attention to this.
> Best wishes
> Frank
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post113925
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-qnx4-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
> <debug.zip>

Hello Oleg,
thanks for your idea, but unfortunately starting the login process by this command shows exactly the same behaviour as 
the tinit command. 
I was able to login at the first try, but after doing a 'ls -l' of a directory with 142 files the login process ended 
after printing a few lines. When starting the login process again (via an Ethernet 'ditto' connection) i could sometimes
 login again on the serial console, but most of the times i just got the same weird behaviour as with the 'tinit' 
command.
So i assume the problem seems to be more related to the UART or the IRQ configuration. Maybe there is something special 
that has to be done for the Vortex 86DX chipset?
Best wishes
Frank
Hi Frank,

Please try Proc32 and drivers from the QNX 4 Product Suite CD 2015:

http://community.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.qnx4/wiki/LatestSoftwareUpdates

Also prepare and test a minimal configuration. Start so few drivers as it possible to test serial console, start a 
driver for only one serial port, sure that Dev.ser doesn’t share interrupt lines with other drivers.

Respectfully,
Oleg

11 июня 2015 г., в 13:07, Frank Meier <community-noreply@qnx.com> написал:

> Hello Oleg,
> thanks for your idea, but unfortunately starting the login process by this command shows exactly the same behaviour as
 the tinit command. 
> I was able to login at the first try, but after doing a 'ls -l' of a directory with 142 files the login process ended 
after printing a few lines. When starting the login process again (via an Ethernet 'ditto' connection) i could sometimes
 login again on the serial console, but most of the times i just got the same weird behaviour as with the 'tinit' 
command.
> So i assume the problem seems to be more related to the UART or the IRQ configuration. Maybe there is something 
special that has to be done for the Vortex 86DX chipset?
> Best wishes
> Frank
> 
> 
> 
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post113943

Dear Oleg,

i tried the latest drivers from the production suite CD as you recommended, but it unfortunately did not change the 
behaviour.
But what i have found out during my tests is, that disabling the UART internal FIFOs in the Votex86DX obviously solves 
the login problem. It is not sufficient to reduce the size to 8, 4 or 1 byte, but instead i have to totally disable the 
buffer.
I used the -t0 option of the Dev.ser Serial driver to do so.

Furthermore i used a small test program to write 0x06 to the FIFO control register at address 0x03FA (Which means: 
disable the FIFO and reset the RCVR and XMIT FIFO). 
When the serial  login got broken (so when the FIFO buffer was enabled) it is possible to reanimate it by disabling it 
with writing 0x06 to address 0x03FA on a ditto console. Afterwards the serial login works fine again.

It sounds a bit weird as the serial login works on many other 16550 compatible devices. Maybe the Vortex 86DX internal 
UART needs a special handling? 
Leaving the FIFOs disabled seems not to be a good solution as the interrupt load might get increased drastically then.
Do you have any idea about this? 

Best wishes
Frank
Hi Frank,

I’m glad to know that you got your working configuration.

> Leaving the FIFOs disabled seems not to be a good solution as the interrupt load might get increased drastically then.

> Do you have any idea about this? 

As far as I know -t option affects on interrupts and it doesn’t disable FIFO at all. You can use default 0 value. Here 
is comment in the driver source:

/*
 * Try to enable 1/4/8/14-deep FIFO mode if a 16550
 * NOTE: That this is NOT always desirable since it significantly
 *       affects recieved character timing, and does NOT
 *       significantly increase receive performance.
 *       (Keep in mind that the 16550 with FIFO disabled
 *        is still very useful, since it SHOULD buffer
 *        up to 16 received characters even when FIFO is off)
 */

Respectfully,
Oleg

24 июня 2015 г., в 17:53:11, Frank Meier <community-noreply@qnx.com> написал:

> Dear Oleg,
> 
> i tried the latest drivers from the production suite CD as you recommended, but it unfortunately did not change the 
behaviour.
> But what i have found out during my tests is, that disabling the UART internal FIFOs in the Votex86DX obviously solves
 the login problem. It is not sufficient to reduce the size to 8, 4 or 1 byte, but instead i have to totally disable the
 buffer.
> I used the -t0 option of the Dev.ser Serial driver to do so.
> 
> Furthermore i used a small test program to write 0x06 to the FIFO control register at address 0x03FA (Which means: 
disable the FIFO and reset the RCVR and XMIT FIFO). 
> When the serial  login got broken (so when the FIFO buffer was enabled) it is possible to reanimate it by disabling it
 with writing 0x06 to address 0x03FA on a ditto console. Afterwards the serial login works fine again.
> 
> It sounds a bit weird as the serial login works on many other 16550 compatible devices. Maybe the Vortex 86DX internal
 UART needs a special handling? 
> Leaving the FIFOs disabled seems not to be a good solution as the interrupt load might get increased drastically then.

> Do you have any idea about this? 
> 
> Best wishes
> Frank
> 
> 
> 
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post114019