Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX v4 Suite 2009, USB stack from Suite 2011, total freeze: (5 Items)

QNX v4 Suite 2009, USB stack from Suite 2011, total freeze  
I've got a newer HP (z230) computer to test our legacy software on a 3 node LAN. The older (Intel Core i3) computer 
worked fine. The new (Intel Core i5) experiences a total system freeze after running for a few hours. When the freeze 
occurs there is no indication of what failed. Graphics (using QWindows), networking, etc. just freeze. There is no local
 or network access to the computer. It is like the Proc has stopped running. Other nodes have processes still attached 
to the frozen node. The alive command would show it UP. Running the tracelogger didn't revealed anything. Did any of you
 experienced a system failure like that?
Re: QNX v4 Suite 2009, USB stack from Suite 2011, total freeze  
Hi Zbigniew,

I've experienced such failure as a result of hardware fault. Does this issue occur on the specific PC or on any z230? 
Try to exclude HW fault. Perform HW tests. Also test PC under load for a few hours.

If you guess that Proc crashes then launch it with debug output to COM port. You can use -o Proc32's option. Also you 
can specify -b and -i options of boot to redirect debug output of system processes to COM port.

Respectfully,
Oleg

16 янв. 2015 г., в 20:07:49, Zbigniew Kazmierczak <community-noreply@qnx.com> написал:

> I've got a newer HP (z230) computer to test our legacy software on a 3 node LAN. The older (Intel Core i3) computer 
worked fine. The new (Intel Core i5) experiences a total system freeze after running for a few hours. When the freeze 
occurs there is no indication of what failed. Graphics (using QWindows), networking, etc. just freeze. There is no local
 or network access to the computer. It is like the Proc has stopped running. Other nodes have processes still attached 
to the frozen node. The alive command would show it UP. Running the tracelogger didn't revealed anything. Did any of you
 experienced a system failure like that?
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post112979
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-qnx4-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Oleg,
Here are answers to your questions:
1. I have only one HP z230 PC to test, so no comparison possible. 
2. I did run the HP Vision (HW) Diagnostics and the computer passed it. What HW tests are you talking about?
3. The (only available) COM port is being used for data communications as part of the test. I'd rather not use it for 
Proc output.
Pls note that computer runs for hours without showing any signs of problems. Just before the freeze, there are some (our
 add-on software)  log entries showing that the system is busy... This is the first time (while using QNX 4 for over 20 
years) that I experience such a total failure that prevents me from narrowing and finding the cause. Could you explain 
why using the output to COM port would be beneficial in troubleshooting this failure.
Hi Zbigniew,

> 2. I did run the HP Vision (HW) Diagnostics and the computer passed it. What HW tests are you talking about?

I meant any HW tests that you can run to check HW. :)

> Could you explain why using the output to COM port would be beneficial in troubleshooting this failure.

I guess that you can't see all diagnostic output when you use QNX Windows. So I suggested you use COM port for the 
diagnostics.

> Just before the freeze, there are some (our add-on software)  log entries showing that the system is busy...

What did you mean when you wrote that the system is busy? Can you collect some system information (sin ar, sin ver, sin 
ir, sin ti, sin pr) just before the freeze?

Respectfully,
Oleg

19 янв. 2015 г., в 16:49:00, Zbigniew Kazmierczak <community-noreply@qnx.com> написал:

> Oleg,
> Here are answers to your questions:
> 1. I have only one HP z230 PC to test, so no comparison possible. 
> 2. I did run the HP Vision (HW) Diagnostics and the computer passed it. What HW tests are you talking about?
> 3. The (only available) COM port is being used for data communications as part of the test. I'd rather not use it for 
Proc output.
> Pls note that computer runs for hours without showing any signs of problems. Just before the freeze, there are some 
(our add-on software)  log entries showing that the system is busy... This is the first time (while using QNX 4 for over
 20 years) that I experience such a total failure that prevents me from narrowing and finding the cause. Could you 
explain why using the output to COM port would be beneficial in troubleshooting this failure.
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post112994
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-qnx4-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. The troubleshooting of the Z230 computer seems to take more time than we have for it's 
approval. We've abandoned the Z230 approval process and successfully run our applications (and approved) the HP Z420 
computer.