Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX 4 on an old Pentium S computer: (5 Items)

QNX 4 on an old Pentium S computer  
Hi,

I am trying to get QNX 4 running on an old Pentium S desktop computer.

Here's some information about the computer from the BIOS start up:

CPU - Pentium S
CPU Clock - 166 MHz
Base Mem - 640 K
Ext Mem - 130048 K
Cache Mem - 512 K
Diskette Drive A - 1.44 M 3.5
Display Type - EGA/VGA
Serial Port - 3F8 2F8
Pri Master Disk - LBA, Mode 4, 8455 MB (WDC 310200)
Sec Slave Disk - CDROM, Mode 4

The installation goes through all of it's paces just fine - recognizing all the hardware. I have it create a partition 
and choose everything to install, but the Japanese, Chinese, and Cyrrillic options. It asks me for a license and I put 
in the Academic License I just received (not sure if it's just for Neutrino install, though). I click Add, but I get no 
message or anything. So, I do the next step, which is installing. I see in the little message display at the bottom of 
the screen what it is doing and at one point it says "unable to read install1." or something like that and it jumps to 
the "Finish" screen and says to re-boot.

When I re-boot, I get the choose partition message and I choose the default, but then I get the ?D (or D?) prompt (which
 I read was a disk error). So, I am assuming that the installation did not occur. Any ideas of why not or any 
suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank
RE: QNX 4 on an old Pentium S computer  
Hi Frank,

You don't say which version of QNX 4 you are installing, or what media you are installing from.  I.e. QNX supplied media
... 3.5" diskettes, or CD?  Or CD made form downloaded image?

I see a couple of problems... the error message you are getting looks like a problem, it suggest that you are installing
 a pretty old version from 3.5" floppies, and that disk 1 cannot be read... at least that's my guess based on the info 
provided.  If you are not using floppies, then it could be related to the license.. I believe you are asked to insert a 
 floppy, if you have one with licenses on.  All this is form memory and all is dependent on which version.

Another problem will be your license... a Neutrino license will not work with QNX 4, although this shouldn't  affect the
 install of the OS.  If you have original media form QNX, you should have a license, either on a 3.5 floppy disk, or a 
license certificate.

-Martin

-----Original Message-----
Sent: July-23-12 4:41 PM
To: general-qnx4
Subject: QNX 4 on an old Pentium S computer

Hi,

I am trying to get QNX 4 running on an old Pentium S desktop computer.

Here's some information about the computer from the BIOS start up:

CPU - Pentium S
CPU Clock - 166 MHz
Base Mem - 640 K
Ext Mem - 130048 K
Cache Mem - 512 K
Diskette Drive A - 1.44 M 3.5
Display Type - EGA/VGA
Serial Port - 3F8 2F8
Pri Master Disk - LBA, Mode 4, 8455 MB (WDC 310200) Sec Slave Disk - CDROM, Mode 4

The installation goes through all of it's paces just fine - recognizing all the hardware. I have it create a partition 
and choose everything to install, but the Japanese, Chinese, and Cyrrillic options. It asks me for a license and I put 
in the Academic License I just received (not sure if it's just for Neutrino install, though). I click Add, but I get no 
message or anything. So, I do the next step, which is installing. I see in the little message display at the bottom of 
the screen what it is doing and at one point it says "unable to read install1." or something like that and it jumps to 
the "Finish" screen and says to re-boot.

When I re-boot, I get the choose partition message and I choose the default, but then I get the ?D (or D?) prompt (which
 I read was a disk error). So, I am assuming that the installation did not occur. Any ideas of why not or any 
suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank

General
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post94382
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-qnx4-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Re: RE: QNX 4 on an old Pentium S computer  
Hi Martin,

I am running the install off of a CD using the QNX4CD.110614.iso. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Frank
Martin,

I went to the QNX Hardware Support page, this morning. I may have to use an older version of QNX 4 that I'm am trying to
 use.

QNX4 4.21
Platform 	Manufacturer 	CPU
x86 	        AMD         	Elan SC300, Elan SC310, Elan SC400, Elan SC410
x86 	        Cyrix         	Media GX
x86 	        Intel 	        386 EX, 486, Pentium, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium Pro, ULP 486
x86 	        STMicroelectronics 	STPC
If you're not seeing the "License successfully Added" when you enter a license,  and the options for the OS, TCP,  
Voyager, or C compiler etc aren't turning green, then it's not installing anything.
According to QNX, you cannot get trial licenses for QNX4 any more.

I'm having the same problem on a Pentium S where I can get the OS to purportedly install, but it won't boot. I too am 
getting the ?D error when I try to boot up. I've tried changing the settings in the BIOS from LBA mode, Normal, etc and 
they all fail. During setup it detects LBA mode anyway, overriding BIOS.

It's funny because I can install QNX4 on an P4 computer with SATA drives and it boots and runs fine. The reason I need 
the old Pentium S to work is because I need the ISA slots it has.