Project Home
Project Home
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Problems with both USB and Photon: (5 Items)

Problems with both USB and Photon  
I'm using the June 2011 product CD.

I'm having trouble making  both USB and Photon work on a Lenovo Thinkcenter A70. I've neverhad much luck making USB work
 under QNX4, so I hope you will forgive any seemingly obvious errors.

The mouse and keyboard are both USB. Legacy USB support is enabled in the BIOS. The first sign of trouble was when the 
CD installer claimed to find a PS2 mouse, but the mouse did not move the cursor. I installed using the keyboard. I 
installed photon as part of the installation process, and it probed for the video driver and ran the flat driver, which 
appeared to work nicely. Once I rebooted into the newly created hard disk based OS things started to go wrong. 

Typing ph caused the photon desktop to partially appear, ie the grey background appeared, but the clock and menu items 
were missing. The system was also totally hung, falling off the network and not responding to the keyboard.

So I tried ph -s, which had the same dire results.

I thought this may have something to do with the USB mouse not working, so I tried to get it working as a USB device 
rather than a legacy PS2. 

Running io-usb & causes the machine to hang. I tried io-usb-ehci, which created /dev/usb, so I tried devu-mouse, which 
creates a process when viewed via sin, but did not create /dev/usbmouse0 as I expected. 

Another oddity, is that the keyboard behaves oddly. The Num lock light is permanently on, and the numeric keypad acts as
 arrow keys. (The opposite state to that whch I'm expecting)  Pressing numlock does not change this. The real arrow keys
 have become numbers! I've tried different keyboards and they all behave in the same way.

So, could anyone suggest how I might get the mouse and photon to work without hanging the system? i feel I must  be 
doing something stupid.

I've attached the output of show_pci -vv

Thanks 

Julian Thornhill
Attachment: Text pci.txt 26.78 KB
Re: Problems with both USB and Photon  
Further to my last message, it seems that vesabios.ms is SIGSEGVing in safe mode.

I've attached the output of

ph -sv 1> /tmp/ph.safe.txt 2> /tmp/ph.safe.txt

The keyboard in numlock mode was a blind alley. I found a bios setting to fix that.

thanks for any inspiration you may have to offer...

Julian Thornhill
Attachment: Text ph.safe.txt 5.7 KB
Hi Julian,

It is very strange that USB mouse doesn't work in PS2 legacy mode on
your system by default. Please ensure that config file
/etc/config/trap/input.$NODE exists (where $NODE - QNX node number) and
contains correct arguments for the Input manager. Default string is:
kbd fd -d/dev/kbd ps2 -r kb-2

As for io-usb.
When your are running io-usb manager it reinitialize USB devices and USB
keyboard became unavailable in text mode.
As an experiment please try the following steps:

1. Edit /etc/config/trap/input.$NODE file.
Tell Input manager to work with usb devices:
msoft  fd -d /dev/usbmouse0
kbd fd -d /dev/usbkbd0

2. Run io-usb, usb drivers and ph in script.
--
#!/bin/ksh
io-usb
sleep 1
devu-mouse
devu-kbd
sleep 3
ph

--

Regards,
Pavel

> I'm using the June 2011 product CD.
>
> I'm having trouble making  both USB and Photon work on a Lenovo Thinkcenter A70. I've neverhad much luck making USB 
work under QNX4, so I hope you will forgive any seemingly obvious errors.
>
> The mouse and keyboard are both USB. Legacy USB support is enabled in the BIOS. The first sign of trouble was when the
 CD installer claimed to find a PS2 mouse, but the mouse did not move the cursor. I installed using the keyboard. I 
installed photon as part of the installation process, and it probed for the video driver and ran the flat driver, which 
appeared to work nicely. Once I rebooted into the newly created hard disk based OS things started to go wrong. 
>
> Typing ph caused the photon desktop to partially appear, ie the grey background appeared, but the clock and menu items
 were missing. The system was also totally hung, falling off the network and not responding to the keyboard.
>
> So I tried ph -s, which had the same dire results.
>
> I thought this may have something to do with the USB mouse not working, so I tried to get it working as a USB device 
rather than a legacy PS2. 
>
> Running io-usb & causes the machine to hang. I tried io-usb-ehci, which created /dev/usb, so I tried devu-mouse, which creates a process when viewed via sin, but did not create /dev/usbmouse0 as I expected. 
>
> Another oddity, is that the keyboard behaves oddly. The Num lock light is permanently on, and the numeric keypad acts 
as arrow keys. (The opposite state to that whch I'm expecting)  Pressing numlock does not change this. The real arrow 
keys have become numbers! I've tried different keyboards and they all behave in the same way.
>
> So, could anyone suggest how I might get the mouse and photon to work without hanging the system? i feel I must  be 
doing something stupid.
>
> I've attached the output of show_pci -vv
>
> Thanks 
>
> Julian Thornhill
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post90503

Hi,
Is it possible to recover the keyboard in text mode?

I like to exit Photon and still have control of the keyboard.
TIA
Augie
Hi Augie,

Unfortunately, it's impossible using current console input driver.

Respectfully,
Oleg

10.03.2014, в 23:47:23, Augie Henriques написал:

> Hi,
> Is it possible to recover the keyboard in text mode?
> 
> I like to exit Photon and still have control of the keyboard.
> TIA
> Augie
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> General
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post109314
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail general-qnx4-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com