Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Running Momentics using the VirtualBox Virtual Machine: (20 Items)

Running Momentics using the VirtualBox Virtual Machine  
I would like to run QNX under the Virtual Box virtual machine - http://www.virtualbox.org/.  Unfortunately, I get a core
 dump when QNX install starts.  A copy of the screen dump is attached.

Any help is much appreciated.

Ross
Attachment: Image QNX-Dump.jpg 74.65 KB
Re: Running Momentics using the VirtualBox Virtual Machine  
I get the same core dump on OS X running virtual box

It's a bug in VirtualBox - they don't support the use of Ring 1 by guests.  I spoke to them and they will look at a 
workaround eventually (obviously it's not a high priority for them).  For now, you can use VT-x mode which works 
properly.

Regards,

Colin
Thanks for the suggestion.  I downloaded and installed the latest version of Virtual Box and QNX (6.4.0).  I installed 
Fedora 10 with the VT-x option selected.  The install was successful.  Next, I tried to install QNX with the VT-x option
.  It failed the same dump.

Any suggestions? 
6.4.0 installed just fine for me in VirtualBox 2.0.6 on an Ubuntu 8.04 machine.  I did have to enable VT-x of course.

It's not enabled by default - can you double check?

BTW, I talked to the VirtualBox people and they can't fix the non VT-x case right now, but will put in a QNX 
configuration that dis-allows non VT-x, in a way similar to OS/2

Colin

Ross Judd wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I downloaded and installed the latest version of Virtual Box and QNX (6.4.0).  I installed
 Fedora 10 with the VT-x option selected.  The install was successful.  Next, I tried to install QNX with the VT-x 
option.  It failed the same dump.
> 
> Any suggestions? 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> QNX Momentics Getting Started
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post17746
> 

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com
RE: Running Momentics using the VirtualBox Virtual Machine  
What are the advantages of VirtualBox over VMWare?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: December-02-08 11:43 AM
To: momenticsgs-community
Subject: Re: Running Momentics using the VirtualBox Virtual Machine

6.4.0 installed just fine for me in VirtualBox 2.0.6 on an Ubuntu 8.04 machine.  I did have to enable VT-x of course.

It's not enabled by default - can you double check?

BTW, I talked to the VirtualBox people and they can't fix the non VT-x case right now, but will put in a QNX 
configuration that dis-allows non VT-x, in a way similar to OS/2

Colin

Ross Judd wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I downloaded and installed the latest version of Virtual Box and QNX (6.4.0).  I installed
 Fedora 10 with the VT-x option selected.  The install was successful.  Next, I tried to install QNX with the VT-x 
option.  It failed the same dump.
> 
> Any suggestions? 
> 
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post17746
> 

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com

Re: RE: Running Momentics using the VirtualBox Virtual Machine  
I tried VMware, Parallels WorkStation and VirtualBox.

The VirtualBox user interface was the best - it seemed to allow more control from an end-user perspective, the 
documentation was good, the performance was excellent, and the source code is available.
Thanks.

I checked the BIOS settings.  Virtualization was disabled.  I enabled it and was able to install QNX successfully.  
However, when I boot QNX, the mouse is uncontrollable.

When QNX boots, I get the message - Can't locate the PNP bios.   I suspect that's behind the mouse problem.

Any thought you mught have are much appreciated.

I don't really know anything about mice, but I think the PNP bios message is harmless - you just don't have any ISA 
devices.

I saw the same issue but once I had configured the system it came right.  I'll ask someone to take a peek...

Colin

Ross Judd wrote:
> Thanks.
> 
> I checked the BIOS settings.  Virtualization was disabled.  I enabled it and was able to install QNX successfully.  
However, when I boot QNX, the mouse is uncontrollable.
> 
> When QNX boots, I get the message - Can't locate the PNP bios.   I suspect that's behind the mouse problem.
> 
> Any thought you mught have are much appreciated.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post17766
> 

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com
I am trying to install QNX Neutrino OS on Virtual Box and it just hangs after "Press Esc for .altboot....". Pressing Esc
 does not help.

I read your suggestion which I will try, however wanted to send you a quick post to ask if that applies to Virtual Box 
on WIndows Machine as well. 

Apologies for my ignorance, how do I enable VT-x ?Also, what were your general settings for the Operating System and 
version? I selected other option, vbut did not work.

Appreciate some help in this regards.
Regards,
Shital

Hi Colin,
I am using Virtual Box version 2.1.2 and as you had mentioned in one of your posts before, they have added a QNX feature
 that enables VT-X.

When I try and boot Neutrino, I get the same problem: "Press Esc to .altboot". It just hangs at that point. I checked 
the runtime session information : VT-X is reported as disabled in runtime. Guest OS is QNX. 

Could that be a bug in Virtual Box or is it somehting that I am doing wrong.

Appreciate your help.

Shital

RE: Running Momentics using the VirtualBox Virtual Machine  
Hi Shital,

VirtualBox doesn't support operating systems that utilize Ring1 in non VT-x mode.

So unless your hardware supports VT-x and you have it enabled, you cannot run
QNX in a VirtualBox VM.

Regards,

Colin

Sent: Tue 2/10/2009 6:07 PM
To: momenticsgs-community
Subject: Re: Running Momentics using the VirtualBox Virtual Machine

Hi Colin,
I am using Virtual Box version 2.1.2 and as you had mentioned in one of your posts before, they have added a QNX feature
 that enables VT-X.

When I try and boot Neutrino, I get the same problem: "Press Esc to .altboot". It just hangs at that point. I checked 
the runtime session information : VT-X is reported as disabled in runtime. Guest OS is QNX.

Could that be a bug in Virtual Box or is it somehting that I am doing wrong.

Appreciate your help.

Shital

Attachment: Text winmail.dat 4.27 KB
Running Momentics using the VirtualBox Virtual Machine  
This may be a bit novice question. How do I check if my hardware supports VT-X?

Regards
Hi all,
I figured out myself, sorry for that. However, will post the answer to my query in case anyone else needs help. 

Just go to the Intel website and find out if the chipset (on your pC) supports virtualization. I was under the 
impression that all Duo Core Intel processors support virtualization. But there are couple of them who do not. 
Unfortunately, the processor that I have on my PC is the one with no support. All Titanium processors support VT-I which
 again is not supported by Virtual Box.

Hope that helps to all novice to QNX..

Regards and Thanks,
Shital
I have an old AMD64 machine that doesnt support Virtualization. so I cant' run QNX on VirtualBox. I tried QEMU, QEmu+
Kqemu, vmware. VMWare was the fastest on my PC.
I have currently settled down on VMware, hope to see if VB guys fix the problem.

/Prem
You still can run VirtualBox on old machine which cpu doesn't support hardware virtual instructions. It is not quite old
 my workstation is still P4 and very powerful. Not multi core no vi. admiring those who has even laptop has multicore 
and vi.

run like this: VBoxSDL -vm your_virtual_machine_name -norawr0
and this is how I run it on my workstation.

read how virtualbox implemented you will see it is using raw ring1 or 2 to emulate guest os' ring0 but QNX's process 
manager is using ring1 and I guess that is the problem. Actually once a time I even tried to debug that kernel crash but
 just didn't find enough time to finish it.

of course if your cpu support vi then your guest machine should run faster: on Linux 
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "vmx|svm".

recommend the PUEL version even you use it at company and it is still free PUEL no need commercial license.
Dont know if it will work for all, but I got QNX 6.32 up and running on VirtualBox  on my Intel Core 2 Duo Win XP Laptop

See http://kverma.posterous.com/getting-qnx-632-to-work-on-virtualbox for more details.

Hi,

I'm trying to install QNX Neutrino 6.3.2 using VirtualBox 3.1.4 (for Windows hosts) on Windows Vista Home Premium OS 
host. The Processor is AMD QL-65 (supports virtualization). VT-x is enabled. However, when I try booting it from the iso
 on the CD, it gets stuck after "Press Esc for .altboot................................................". The log file's
 last line is "Booting from CD-ROM" and is stuck at that. Has anyone had similar problems and managed to get a work 
around it?

I've gone through the above posts with no luck. 

It works fine with VMware though.

Thanks.

I've go the same problem, 

my machine is: 

Athlon 62 X2 4200+
2GB ram6
ubuntu 10.04 x86
virtualbox 3.1.6 OSE

I've tried 6.3.0 from openqnx.com and QNX SDP 6.5 from qnx.com. I've got AMD-V enabled. I've tried to boot with all 
available chipsets and still it hangs.
Attachment: Text virtualbox+qnx6.5.0.log 30.7 KB
I found out that the same problem occurs on non-free Virtualbox editions running under x86 Linux - I think it's a bug. 
Everything works fine on a x86_64 host even with a open source edition of VB.